Table of Contents
How to Apply Fertilizer to Arborvitae Trees for Maximum Growth
First off, if your plant is less than a year old you should not apply fertilizer at all! It may actually harm the plant if the root system has not been established sufficiently yet. After the first year, it is okay to apply a light application of fertilizer to your plant. If you want your arborvitae trees to reach their maximum growth potential faster, applying fertilizer is a great way to help them along in year two and beyond. Here’s how to do it:
1. Start by choosing the right fertilizer. Look for a fertilizer that is specifically designed for evergreen trees. This will ensure that your arborvitae trees get the nutrients they need to thrive.
2. Apply the fertilizer in the spring, when the trees are just starting to grow. This will give them the boost they need to get off to a strong start.
3. Spread the fertilizer evenly around the base of the tree. Make sure to cover the entire root zone, but avoid getting any fertilizer on the trunk or branches.
4. Water the fertilizer in. This will help it to be absorbed into the soil and make its way to the roots of the tree.
5. Repeat the process every spring. This will ensure that your arborvitae trees get the nutrients they need to reach their maximum growth potential.
Following these steps will help your arborvitae trees to reach their full potential in no-time. With the right fertilizer and a little bit of care, you can have healthy, thriving trees in no time!
The Benefits of Fertilizing Arborvitae Trees
Fertilizing your arborvitae trees can be a great way to ensure they stay healthy and vibrant. Here are some of the benefits of fertilizing your arborvitae trees:
1. Improved Growth: Fertilizing your arborvitae trees can help them grow faster and stronger. This can help them reach their full potential and provide you with a lush, green landscape.
2. Increased Disease Resistance: Fertilizing your arborvitae trees can help them become more resistant to disease and pests. This can help keep your trees healthy and looking their best.
3. Improved Color: Fertilizing your arborvitae trees can help them maintain their vibrant green color. This can help your landscape look its best and provide a beautiful backdrop for your home.
4. Improved Root System: Fertilizing your arborvitae trees can help them develop a strong and healthy root system. This can help them stay firmly planted in the ground and provide them with the nutrients they need to thrive.
Now that we covered the benefits and the importance of waiting until your plants are fully established to fertilize, let’s take a quick look at product selection. We’ll help you choose the perfect fertilizer to help your landscaping trees thrive year-after-year.
How to Choose the Right Fertilizer for Arborvitae
Choosing the right fertilizer for your arborvitae can be a bit tricky. After all, you want to make sure you’re giving your tree the best nutrition possible without causing the roots to burn from too much fertilizer. Here are a few tips to help you choose the right fertilizer for your arborvitae.
First, consider the type of arborvitae you have. Different types of arborvitae require different types of fertilizer. For example, if you have a Thuja occidentalis (AKA Northers White Cedar), you’ll need a fertilizer that’s slightly high in nitrogen. On the other hand, if you have a Thuja plicata (AKA Western Red Cedar), you’ll need a fertilizer that’s just a little higher in phosphorus.
Next, consider the time of year. Different times of the year require different types of fertilizer. For example, in the spring, you’ll want to use a fertilizer that’s high in nitrogen to help promote new growth. In the summer, you’ll want to use a highly diluted fertilizer that’s high in potassium to help promote flowering and fruiting. I don’t recommend more than two feedings in a single year, and that summertime one needs to be at half strength or less, depending on what the manufacturer recommends for a full dose. In other words, if the label says to apply 1 cup of granules, you should only use 1/2 cup or less on your trees.
Finally, consider the soil type. Different types of soil require different types of fertilizer. For example, if you have sandy soil, you’ll want to use a fertilizer that’s high in phosphorus and potassium. If you have clay soil, you’ll want to use a fertilizer that’s high in nitrogen and potassium.
Next up, let’s take a look at two specific products to see if they are right for your Arborvitae or not.
Can you use Miracle Grow on arborvitae?
Yes, you can use Miracle Grow on arborvitae! Miracle Grow is a great fertilizer for arborvitae, as it helps to promote healthy growth and keep the plant looking lush and green. They make a specific formulation for evergreens that you can check out by clicking on the image below. When applying Miracle Grow, make sure to follow the instructions on the package and water the arborvitae thoroughly after application. This will help the fertilizer to be absorbed into the soil and provide the best results.
Jobe’s Fertilizer Spikes for Arborvitae
Are you looking for an easy way to give your arborvitae the nutrients it needs to stay healthy and vibrant with the least amount of work possible? If you have a lot of plants to fertilize, this next product will be super-convenient for you. Jobe’s Fertilizer Spikes for Arborvitae are the perfect solution! These fertilizer spikes provide a slow-release of essential nutrients directly to the root zone of your arborvitae, ensuring that your tree gets the nourishment it needs to thrive.
Jobe’s Fertilizer Spikes for Arborvitae are easy to use. Simply insert the spikes into the soil at least 2 feet away from the trunk near the base of your arborvitae and water thoroughly. The spikes will slowly release nutrients over a period of 8-9 months, providing your tree with a steady supply of essential nutrients. Plus, the spikes are mess-free and won’t wash away with rain or irrigation.
Jobe’s Fertilizer Spikes for Arborvitae are specially formulated to provide your tree with the nutrients it needs to stay healthy and strong. The spikes contain nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, as well as other essential micronutrients. These nutrients help promote strong root growth, lush foliage, and vibrant color.
So, if you’re looking for an easy and mess-free way to give your arborvitae the nutrients it needs, try Jobe’s Fertilizer Spikes for Arborvitae by clicking on the image below. With just one application, you can provide your tree with the nourishment it needs to stay healthy and vibrant all season long!
How are your shrubs doing this season? If you’ve been growing ornamental cedar trees in your landscaping, we would love to hear about it in the comments below!
Next up: Check out our review of the best grass fertilizers for a lush lawn.